Awesome productivity blog thatvoodooyoudo.com 🙂 writes an indepth article on how to get into the zone at work. Some very good advise. Some exerpts:
Your ability to concentrate can be trained, just as your body can. It is a slow, incremental process, and just like with physical training, the real gains are made through consistency rather than occasional bursts.
The Nine Components of Flow
- Clear goals.
- A high degree of concentration on a limited field of attention.
- A loss of self-consciousness, the merging of action and awareness.
- Distorted sense of time. (he talks of power-of-48-minutes here)
- Direct and immediate feedback; behaviour can be adjusted as needed.
- Balance between ability level and challenge.
- A sense of personal control over the situation or activity.
- Intrinsically rewarding action, so there is an effortlessness of action.
- Focus of awareness is narrowed down to the activity itself.
Read the full article here.